18 July 2008

life is all around us

Even a stone, and more easily a flower or a bud, could show you the way back to God, to the source, to yourself. When you look at it or hold it and let it be without imposing a word or mental label on it, a sense of awe, of wonder, arises within you. Its essence silently communicates itself to you and reflects your own essence back to you.
- The Earth Within, Eckhart Tolle

I have gained this heightened sense of awareness for all that is alive around me. In walking around my neighborhood I see intricacies of so many gardens, of tree trunks, trees uprooted and cut down from our recent storms, layout of rocks and am noticing the distinct bird and insect sounds individually and as they blend.

In my front yard a robin in nesting.
New bird

A raccoon lives in the gutter of the house next door. He watches from his perch so still and just stares at Neko and she goes bezerk in her existential quest to jump up and show him who he is dealing with.
IMG_1577

A katydid. I felt a little bit invasive taking her picture. Few other groups in the insect world have as wide a range of survival tactics as katydids. Katydids do everything from posing as remarkably life-like leaves to mimicking other insects in their attempts to make it through the day without being eaten.
Red home

My tomato plants are 7 feet tall. I ate my the first vegetable I have ever grown today - a cherry tomato. Excellent taste.

There so much going on in a moment.

3 comments:

Peptide said...

love these photos - the red/yellow of the flower with that katydid knocks me out. way to garden, silvie!

liz said...

what eckhart tolle was describing, letting something be without imposing a label - that's what i love about abstract art. experiencing the feeling of it, the essence of it.

that's amazing to have that connection with things that have representation in our world, like a flower or a tree or some rocks.

silvie said...

thanks pep. some plants are going so well. some not. i planted a blueberry plant but no bluberries because, i learned, you have to plant two - a male and female. who knew? Like holly plants. Celery turned out to be very easy to grow. My basil is 1.75 feet tall --Superbasil. my strawberries made only a couple of berries. eggplant shot up in a week. and so it goes.

liz, i suppose it is is precious - you are right. at times it seems stronger with the bird nesting than most people i come in contact with. i find few that i can share the poetry and magic with or essence as you say- which feels sad. most don't get me or that part of me, or it scares them. or something. i seem to be "too" fill in the blank. off a bit of a tanget but not filtering. so one day i hope to make the circle full to include people a bit more fully. i've no idea how to get there.